The keyboard delay issue on the iPhone can be very annoying. Typing may be slow or the word may be misspelled. This issue occurs in many apps, from messages and Facebook to Safari. A simple fix is to change the keyboard, but you don’t always want to do this. Instead, let’s look at some possible solutions to fix keyboard lag on iPhone and iPad.
- Force the phone to restart
- Reset the keyboard dictionary
- Disable predictive text on iOS devices
- Turn on / off to reduce motion
- Disable all iPhone keyboard settings
- Update your iPhone to the latest iOS version
1. Force restart iPhone
The first step to fix the problem on your phone is to restart it. A forced reboot will eliminate the minor glitches and resolve the iOS 15 keyboard lag.
- For iPhone 6S and earlier: Press the Home and Power buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo.
- For iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Press and hold the side button and volume down button for at least 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears on your screen.
- For iPhone 8 or later: Press quickly and release the volume up button. Then press quickly and release the volume down button. Then press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo on your screen.
See this post for more information on how to force a restart of your iPhone and iPad.
2. Reset the keyboard dictionary
Migrating to iOS 14 may cause compatibility issues with iOS 13 keyboard data. To fix this, resetting the keyboard dictionary is a proven way to troubleshoot keyboard lag issues on iPhone and iPad.
Of course, this will restore the keyboard dictionary to its defaults and erase all saved words and slang.
- Move to Setting → Universal → reset..
- Tap Reset keyboard dictionary Please enter your ~ passcode..Then tap Reset dictionary..
3. Disable predictive text on iOS devices
The predictive text feature of the iOS keyboard helps you type faster by suggesting the following words you might use: However, it may reduce performance, so try disabling it as follows:
- Move to Setting → Universal → keyboard..
- Scroll down toggle off Predictive keyboard.
If your iPhone and iPad still have slow keyboard speeds, try the steps below.
4. Switch on / off to reduce motion
iPhone motion settings control the beauty of using your device. This includes visual effects such as app transitions and keyboard pop opening and closing. Enabling or disabling such animations can help solve keyboard delay issues.
- Move to Setting → Accessibility..
- select motion Displays a list of visual effect options.
- If Reduce motion It’s on, Switch off. If it is already offSwitch on.
Check to see if this resolves your keyboard issue. If not, proceed to the next step below.
5. Disable all iPhone keyboard settings
The iPhone or iPad keyboard has many customization options such as AutoCorrect, smart punctuation, automatic capitalization, and spell checking.
It’s a good idea to disable each of these features one at a time to see if the keyboard lag issue goes away.
- Move to Settings → General..
- select keyboard..
- Test the keyboard by disabling each option in the list and reordering it. Or disable everything and see if the problem goes away.
6. Update your iPhone to the latest iOS version
You’re probably already using the latest version of iOS or iPad OS, but in either case you need to check for available updates. Apple often releases patches that fix bugs such as keyboard lag issues, so you’ll need to install them when updates are available.
Move to Settings → General → Software update.
If there are any updates available, follow the on-screen instructions to install them.
We hope this guide will help you fix the keyboard lag issue on your iPhone or iPad. If the problem persists, try using a third-party keyboard until Apple offers a permanent solution.