If you use Linux frequently on your Chromebook, you’ve probably seen the programs provided in tar.gz, AppImage, and DEB packages. The DEB program is easy to install and the AppImage program runs fine on Chromebooks, but installing the tar.gz file on Chrome OS is a bit tricky. Therefore, to make things easier, we provide a handy guide on how to install the tar.gz file on your Chromebook. You need to run some commands. This completes all the settings.
Install the tar.gz file on your Chromebook (2021)
This tutorial will show you how to install LibreOffice, one of the best Linux apps for Chromebooks. It is provided in tar.gz file format and must be extracted into a Linux container and installed manually. It is assumed that you have already set up Linux on your Chromebook. So let’s jump to the steps without any further effort.
1. First, move the tar.gz file to’Linux files‘The section below the Files app.
2. Then press the Chromebook Ctrl + Enter keyboard shortcut to copy the file name.Please be sure to copy Whole file nameIncludes the tar.gz extension.
3. Now, start a Linux terminal and execute the following command.surely Replace file name The one copied above. Extract the tar.gz file to your Chromebook folder.
sudo tar -xf filename.tar.gz
4. Once the tar.gz file is extracted, go to the “Linux Files” section under the Files app and go to Copy the folder name.. This time, there is no extension.
5. Next, execute the following command Move to the extracted folder.. Don’t forget to replace the folder name in the command with the actual name you copied above.
6. It’s under the folder. Find the .deb file.. For LibreOffice, the DEB files are under the “DEBS” folder and need to be moved to that folder. Run the following command to move to a specific folder.
7. Now, if you execute the following command, Install all DEB programs Under the Chromebook tar.gz file. Please wait for a while as the installation will take some time.
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
8. Finally, once the installation is complete, you can access the app from. App drawer Under the Linux folder. that’s it.
Extract and run the tar.gz file on Chrome OS
Here’s how to install the tar.gz file on Chrome OS. We also explained how to extract the contents of the tar.gz file from a Linux terminal. If you don’t have access to Linux, or just want to extract the contents of the tar.gz file, follow the guide on how to extract ZIP, 7Z, or TAR files on your Chromebook. Anyway, it’s all from us. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments section below.