In a September 2021 press release, Apple announced the first states in the United States to adopt a driver’s license / state ID scheme. This feature allows you to present a digitally verifiable copy of your ID at some airport checkpoints of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) via your iPhone or Apple Watch.
However, Apple has not announced that it will extend this functionality beyond what is stated in the press release. At least not at the time of writing.
If you’re in one of the supported US states (discussed in the next section) and you’re using iPhone 8 or later with iOS 15.4, add your driver’s license or state ID to your Apple Wallet in a few steps. I can do it. Read on to learn how to do it.
- 1 Which states support adding a license / state ID to your Apple Wallet?
- 2 Requirements for adding a driver’s license / state ID to your Apple Wallet
- 3 Add state ID or driver’s license to Apple Wallet on iPhone and Apple Watch
- 4 How to remove your driver’s license or state ID from Apple Wallet
- 5 Display your driver’s license or state ID on your Apple Wallet
- 6 Can I add multiple IDs at once?
- 7 Is your ID secure?
Which states support adding a license / state ID to your Apple Wallet?
The state excerpts from which this feature was launched include: Arizona When Georgia..However, according to a press release, Apple said: Connecticut, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, UtahWhen Okurahoma Will continue.
Requirements for adding a driver’s license / state ID to your Apple Wallet
At the time of writing, Apple believes that the iPhone must meet the following requirements in order to use this feature:
- iPhone 8 and above or Apple Watch Series 4 and above have been updated to iOS 15.4 and watchOS 8.4, respectively.
- You need to activate Face ID and Touch ID.
- Make sure two-factor authentication is turned on for your Apple ID. To check:
- Open iPhone Setting..
- Tap Apple ID Banner at the top → Password and security..
- Next, two-factor authentication on..
- The GPS position of the device must be in the United States.
If you meet all of the above conditions, proceed to the next section to take advantage of this cool feature.
Add state ID or driver’s license to Apple Wallet on iPhone and Apple Watch
- Start wallet App.
- Tap + The icon on the upper right.
- select driver’s license Also State ID Then select your state.
- Tap continue..
- When prompted: Choose whether to add the ID to your iPhone only or sync with your paired Apple Watch.
- Then follow the on-screen instructions to scan your state ID or driver’s license.
- Then follow the steps below on the screen to verify your identity.
Hint: Use a plain background and make sure the lighting is in a uniform area. Also, remove sunglasses and nose mask. Then make sure your iPhone gives you a sign (vibration or alert) while you tilt your head during the scan.
- Then tap Continue with Face ID To submit your state ID or driver’s license to the relevant authorities.
How to remove your driver’s license or state ID from Apple Wallet
- Go to wallet App.
- Select the one you added State ID Also license..
- Tap Other icons Next to the listed ID.
- Scroll down and tap delete With menu Confirmation process.
Display your driver’s license or state ID on your Apple Wallet
- Unlock and hold iPhone top Also Apple Watch display Near the ID reader.
You can check the information displayed on the screen.
- To present your ID or license
- IPhone with Touch ID: Hold Touch ID with your finger.
- IPhone with Face ID or Apple Watch: Double-click the side button.
To view license or ID information: Open iPhone Wallet app → Tap ID Also license → Tap Three dot icons → Tap State ID information Also Driver’s license information → Authenticate using Face or Touch ID. This will give you the location where you used your ID, your state issuer number and website, and the option to replace your fingerprint if you registered multiple fingerprints.
Can I add multiple IDs at once?
According to Apple, each ID or license is unique to only one Apple ID at a time. Therefore, you cannot link multiple IDs or driver’s licenses to different Apple IDs at the same time. This may be one of the reasons why you can’t upload your ID.
However, if your iPhone has a paired device, this device shares the same Apple ID as your iPhone, so you can add an ID.
Is your ID secure?
To protect your privacy, Apple uses encryption algorithms to protect the information about the ID added to your wallet. Therefore, neither Apple nor the identity issuer knows anything about your data.
Manage your data without interference, just like iCloud Keychain. Therefore, rest assured that your driver’s license or state ID information is safe.
This new feature is not yet widespread, but we hope it will be adopted in more regions in the future. So if you still can’t add your state ID or driver’s license to your Apple Wallet, don’t worry. Apple doesn’t abandon you.
What’s more, according to Apple, recruitment varies by state and region, depending on government policies and working provisions. What do you think of this feature of Apple? Share your thoughts in the comments below.