Since its launch, Google has improved the Google TV platform, the successor to Android TV, and added new features. The company recently introduced support for Apple TV + on Google TV, fixing a major bug that users were facing data corruption issues on Google TV. Everything is fine now, but frankly, it’s a shame that Google hasn’t added a dedicated Play Store shortcut to its home page yet. To access the full-fledged Play Store on Google TV, you need to call the Google Assistant or dive into various menus and submenus. So, to make things easier, this article has put together five ways to access the full Play Store on Google TV.
- 1 Access the Full Play Store on Google TV: Explained 5 Ways! (2021)
- 2 5 ways to access the Play Store app on Chromecast using Google TV
Access the Full Play Store on Google TV: Explained 5 Ways! (2021)
Here we have added multiple ways to open the full Play Store on Google TV. Based on your level of expertise, you can use one of five methods: Expand the table below to go to a specific method.
Method 1: Open Play Store on Google TV via Google Assistant
The easiest way to access the full-fledged Play Store interface on Google TV is to use the Google Assistant. Follow the steps below to learn how it works:
1. Hold down the Google Assistant button on the remote control and click “Open play store“.
2. Immediately, the Google Assistant Launch the Play Store app On Chromecast and Google TV. You can now manually update your app, turn off automatic updates, and manage parental controls.
Method 2: Access the Play Store from Google TV settings
Another convenient way to open the Play Store on Chromecast using Google TV is to use the App Info page. From there, you can open the main interface of the Play Store.
1. To do this,Configuration“.
2. Next, “App“.
3. In the right pane,See all App“.
4. Scroll down and click “Show system App“.
5. Then scroll down further and read “Google Play Store“.
6. Go to the right pane menu Open play store..
7. Finally, you will be able to: Visit the Google Play store On Chromecast and Google TV.
Method 3: Create a Play Store shortcut on the home screen
Google doesn’t provide a shortcut to the Google Play store on Google TV, so you’ll need to sideload a third-party app for that. This app is developed by edwaine on XDA-Developers and adds a simple shortcut to the app store on your home screen. Let’s see how it works:
1. First, click here Download APK..
2. Next, you need to do the following: Sideload the APK On Google TV. You can follow a detailed tutorial on how to sideload your APK on Android TV. The steps are very similar on Google TV and Android TV because they share the same Android base.
3. Once you have transferred the APK to Google TV, open File Explorer Install the downloaded APK..
4. Once installed, press the home button on the remote control and you will find a shortcut to the Google Play store Added to the top line On Google TV. Easy-It’s easy, isn’t it?
Method 4: Install a third party launcher
If your Google TV launcher is too complex to use, you can: Install a third party launcher From the Play Store. The home screen is displayed neatly, and Google Play Store shortcuts are also added. Here’s how.
Note: By the way, you can disable personalized recommendations on Google TV or customize your Google TV home screen for a seamless and cluttered experience.
1. You can install a third party launcher from the Play Store. No need to sideload. A list of the best Android TV launchers has already been created, so check the list and choose the one you like.I suggest ATV launcher (Free) or side load launcher (free).
2. To install the launcher, hold down the Google Assistant button and click “Search for X apps“. Next, open the launcher and install it.
3. Once installed, Press the home button, And you will find the ATV launcher added to the top column.
4. Open it, Google Play Store Shortcut. that’s it. You can now easily install and manage apps on Google TV.
Finally, you can remap the remote button to open the Play Store on Google TV. I explained how it works by following the steps below.
1. You need to Install button mapper (Free, offers in-app purchase) Follow the guide on how to remap your Android TV remote and grant all permissions on Google TV.
2. After setting everything, select the button you want to use to open the Play Store. For example, I saidDouble tapClick “Home Button” to open the Play Store immediately.
3. There, open the “Double Tap” menu in the Button Mapper app. Then go to the drop-down menu and clickapplicationClick and scroll down until you find the Play Store. Select it.
4. That’s it.Now whenever you do Press the home button twice, Play Store will open immediately. How cool is it? Yes, setting everything up is a bit long process, but once done it works like a charm.
5 ways to access the Play Store app on Chromecast using Google TV
In short, these are five different ways to access a full-fledged Play Store app on Google TV. The Google Assistant method is fast and efficient, but frankly, I’ve sideloaded the Play Store shortcut app for quick access. Also, if you are an advanced user, we recommend that you remap the remote button. Anyway, it’s all from us. If you want to know more about these Google TV tips and tricks, follow the linked article. Also, if you have any questions, please let us know in the comments section below.