Doesn’t everything get better when it’s on a bigger screen? Thankfully, most major TV makers have built-in support for AirPlay 2, making it easy to share and mirror content from your iPhone, iPad, and Mac to your TV. But is your TV AirPlay 2 compatible?
Can you seamlessly stream movies, home videos, photos, presentations and more to your smart TV? This list is also useful whether you want to check if your TV is compatible with AirPlay 2 or if you want to check your options before buying a new TV.
But first, let’s see what you can do with AirPlay.
How can an AirPlay 2 compatible TV improve things?
AirPlay is Apple’s proprietary wireless standard that allows you to cast video, photos, or music to your TV. You can also mirror your iPhone, iPad, or Mac screen to your Apple TV and compatible smart TV.
Integrating with HomeKit, you can also control your TV from Siri commands, the Control Center, and even the lock screen. Siri can also suggest shows and movies to watch, depending on past tastes.
There are more! AirPlay can track your device and switch TVs automatically when you switch rooms. It also syncs with other AirPlay 2 compatible speakers for a multi-room experience.
LG Airplay 2 compatible TV
- LG OLED
- 2020 – RX, ZX, WX, GX, CX, BX series
- 2019 – R9, Z9, W9, E9, C9, B9 series
- 2018 – B8, C8, G8, E8 series
- LG NanoCell
- 2020 – Nano 99, 97, 95, 90, 85, 80 series
- 2019 – SM99, SM95, SM90, SM86, SM81 series
- LG UHD TV
- 2020 – UN85, UN73, UN71, UN70, UN69 series
- 2019 – UM80, UM75, UM73, UM71, UM69 series
- LG SuperUHD SK 9, 8 Series (2018)
- LG UHD UK 62 series and above, UK 7 series (2018)
Samsung TV compatible with Airplay 2
- Samsung QLED 8K Q9 Series (2019, 2020)
- Samsung QLED 4K Q6, Q7, Q8, Q9 series (2018, 2019, 2020)
- Samsung The Frame Series (2018, 2019, 2020)
- Samsung Dialogue Series (2019, 2020)
- Samsung UHD6,7,8 series (2018, 2019, 2020)
- Samsung FHD / HD 4, 5 Series (2018)
Roku Apple Airplay 2 compatible TV
- AOC Roku TV
- ATVIO Roku TV
- Element Roku TV (series 400, series 450)
- Hisense Roku TV (R6, R7, R8 series)
- Hitachi Roku TV
- InFocus Roku TV
- JVC Roku TV (Select, Premier, Elite Series)
- Magnavox Roku TV (55MV379R / F7, 65MV379F / F7)
- on. Roku TV (10012588, 100024699, 100012584, 100005396, 100005397, 100012587, 100012585, 100012586)
- Philco Roku TV
- Philips Roku TV (4000 series)
- RCA Roku TV (RTRQ6522-US, RTRU5027-US, RTRU5527-W, RTRU6527-US, RTRQ5522-US, RTRU4927-US)
- Roku® Express (2017, 2019)
- Roku® Express + (2017, 2019)
- Roku® Premiere
- Roku® Premiere +
- Roku® Streambar ™
- Roku® Streambar Pro ™
- Roku® Streaming Stick ™
- Roku® Streaming Stick® +
- Roku® Streaming Stick® + Headphone Edition
- Roku® Ultra (2019, 2020)
- Roku® Ultra LT
- Roku®3 (2013)
- Sanyo Roku TV (FW50R79FC, FW55R70F, FW55R79FC, FW65R70F, FW65R79FC)
- Sharp Roku TV (2T-C45CF2UR, 4T-C60CL2UR)
- TCL Roku TV (4 series, 5 series, 6 series, 8 series)
- Westinghouse Roku TV (UX series, UT series)
Sony Airplay 2 compatible TV
- Sony A8H series (2020)
- Sony A9F series (2018)
- Sony A9G series (2019)
- Sony A9S series (2020)
- Sony X85G series (2019 55 inch, 65 inch, 75 inch, and 85 inch models)
- Sony X95G series (2019)
- Sony X80H series (2020)
- Sony X85H series (2020)
- Sony X90H series (2020)
- Sony X95H series (2020)
- Sony X80J series (2021)
- Sony X85J series (2021)
- Sony X90J series (2021)
- Sony X91J series (2021)
- Sony X95J series (2021)
- Sony Z9F series (2018)
- Sony Z9G series (2019)
- Sony Z8H series (2020)
- Sony Z9J series (2021)
VIZIO Airplay 2 compatible TV
- VIZIO OLED (2020)
- VIZIO P-Series Quantum X (2019, 2020)
- VIZIO P-Series Quantum (2018, 2019, 2020)
- VIZIO P-Series (2016, 2017, 2018)
- VIZIO M-Series Quantum (2019, 2020)
- VIZIO M-series (2016, 2017, 2018)
- VIZIO E-Series (2016, 2017, and 2018 UHD models)
- VIZIO V series (2019, 2020)
- VIZIO D-Series (2018, 2019)
FAQ about AirPlay 2 compatible TVs
It’s very easy. Connect your iPhone / iPad / Mac to the same Wi-Fi network as your AirPlay 2 compatible TV or Apple TV. Play the content and tap the AirPlay icon.
If your TV isn’t compatible with AirPlay 2, you can try the Apple TV app or a third-party app such as AirScreen. Or you need to invest in an Apple TV box.
No, not all smart TVs offer built-in AirPlay support. You may need to download the Apple TV app or a compatible screen mirroring app.
It depends on the speed of Wi-Fi and the content being played. However, AirPlay uses lossless compression, which gives it much better performance than Bluetooth.
1. Bring the router closer to improve the Wi-Fi signal
2. Make sure the TV firmware and device OS are updated
3. Turn off Bluetooth to eliminate the possibility of interference
4. Reboot all devices to clear the cache or other settings
AirPlay 2 is just an upgraded version of AirPlay. And the main difference is that AirPlay 2 enables multi-room groups. This means you can play on multiple devices at the same time.
Apple’s AirPlay support is steadily expanding and improving. And I’m very ecstatic about it because this feature makes it easy to mirror the screen and cast content.
I still feel that Apple needs to work together to bring AirPlay and other related features easier and more compatible. What do you think about the matter? Do you think Apple needs to loosen up a bit? Share your opinion in the comments section below.
Want to explore AirPlay a little more? Try these articles: